Sunday, September 7, 2014

Hobart Beats Dickinson in Season Opener, 33-21

My apologies for the delay in getting my season opener review up but this weekend was.....epic.

I had the pleasure of returning to Geneva for the first time in over a year and made the most of it. During my visit I:
  • Attended classes taught by former professors
  • A special Happy 65th Birthday to Capt Jack Harris who was my Honors Advisor during my SR YR
  • Met with students at the Career Development Center
  • Mingled with Hobart Teams of Distinction from the 70's thanks to Coach Hanna '68, Kevin Martin '81 and Tom Korn '75
As the grand finale of the weekend, the twelfth ranked Hobart College Statesmen opened their 2014 campaign against Centennial Conference rival Dickinson College.

After I briefly blew out the public address system with my rendition of the Stars Spangled Banner, the Statesmen needed only a few plays until SR FB Dominique Ellis broke free on a 53 yard run to get Hobart on the board.

A game recap, including interviews with Coach Cragg and JR RB Connor Hartigan can be found here. Statistically SR QB Patrick Conlan led the Statesmen with 217 passing yards with a touchdown and interception. Ellis scored two TDs and Hartigan led all rushers with a 103 yards and a TD. Defensively the Statesmen were paced by JR LB Jacob Stanley with a game high 11 tackles, including a key FG block. Dickinson was led by Ahnell with a 163 passing and 11 rushing yards and two touchdowns.

I will share some additional thoughts and analysis tomorrow or Tuesday at the latest. There was a lot of good but definitely some opportunities to improve overall. Endicott is a tough draw but I think the Statesmen can come out with a win if they learn from the mistakes made in the Dickinson game that kept it closer than the 33-21 score indicates.

More to come....thanks for reading and go 'Bart!

2 comments:

  1. A solid season opener. I'm looking forward to the games against our new OOC rivals

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for spreading Hobart Football awareness on social media ;)

    ReplyDelete